Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style). I grew up in Louisiana and love red beans and rice; these are just like I remember–red beans made with Cajun seasonings and Andouille sausage. This is a great Sunday supper. This is the best red beans and rice I have ever had, hands down.
Side note, if you can get your hands on it, savannah sausage andouille is fantastic. The only other that I think compares is Registers in the panhandle of FL. · Red beans are a perfect low-maintenance but hearty choice. "They practically cook themselves," Chase says. And with recipes like the traditional New Orleans Red Beans and Rice, Slow-Cooker Red Beans and Rice, Stovetop Red Beans and Rice, or even Easy Red Beans and Rice, it's pretty easy to see why this connection is so readily made. You can cook Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style) using 21 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style)
- Prepare 1 lb. of “dry” red kidney beans (or small red beans).
- It’s 4 cups of vegetable stock.
- You need 1 cup of water.
- Prepare 1 of smoked ham hock (or hambone).
- It’s 2 of dried bay leaves.
- Prepare Dash of salt and pepper.
- Prepare 1 Tsp. of dried thyme.
- You need 1/2 Tsp. of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 Tsp. of dried sage.
- Prepare Dash of Cajun seasonings.
- You need Dash of olive oil.
- You need 1 lb. of andouille sausage.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, diced.
- Prepare 1 of green bell pepper, diced.
- Prepare 3 stalks of celery, chopped fine.
- You need 2 Tbs. of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 lb. of cured ham, diced.
- It’s 1-2 cups of debris gravy (beef/pork gravy).
- It’s 1/2 cup of fresh parsley, chopped.
- You need Dash of hot sauce & cider vinegar.
- Prepare 5-6 cups of “cooked” long grain white rice.
Add beans, water, and bay leaf. Perhaps the most common bean used in Cajun red beans and rice is the small red bean. The small red bean is also known as the Mexican red bean or simply the red bean. Small red beans have a brighter red color than pinto beans but they are similar to, and interchangeable with, pinto beans and kidney beans.
Red Beans & Rice (Louisiana Style) step by step
- Day ahead: Soak beans overnight in a large pot of salted water. This hydrates the beans and reduces the overall cooking time the next day..
- Drain the beans and then add the measured stock and water to the pot. Place the ham hock, bay leaves, and all the seasonings into the pot..
- Bring this to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover (slightly ajar) and simmer for 2.5 hours. Stir occasionally..
- [At the 2.5 hour mark …] In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat and brown the andouille sausage for 3-4 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set aside to cool..
- In the same pan, sauté onions, bell pepper, and celery in a little oil until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and heat this for another minute..
- Transfer the vegetables to the simmering pot of beans. Slice the sausage (1/3 inch) and diced ham and add to the pot. Continue to simmer..
- [At the 3.5 hour mark …] Remove the ham hock, shred the meat, and add to the pot. Add the brown gravy and parsley with a dash of hot sauce and vinegar and stir. Heat this for 30 minutes..
- Serve the bean-gravy (when the beans are tender) over steamed white rice, with a side of cornbread and enjoy..
They are smaller and rounder than kidney. How to cook Copycat Popeye's Red Beans & Rice. I'm using Uncle Bens Converted White Rice. Add water, cajun seasoning, onion powder, garlic salt, hot sauce, salt, liquid. We love red beans & rice!