Crispy fried green tomatoes. Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-size bowl. Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs and salt and pepper on another plate. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
When summer arrives I've only got one thing on my mind… Crispy on the outside, soft and tangy on the inside, fried green tomatoes dunked in creamy dressing. Make sure to choose unripe green tomatoes (ones that haven't yet turned red) and not tomatillos or heirloom tomatoes, like Green Zebras, that remain green even when ripe. If you love fried green tomatoes but want a lighter or gluten-free version, you will love this Oven Fried Green Tomatoes with Spicy Ranch recipe! You can have Crispy fried green tomatoes using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Crispy fried green tomatoes
- You need 2 cups of flour.
- It’s 1/2 cup of cornstarch.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of pepper.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of salt.
- It’s Dash of hot pepper flakes.
- You need 3 of large green tomatoes.
- It’s of Vegetable oil for frying.
- It’s 1/2 of milk.
- You need 1 of large egg.
- Prepare Dash of garlic salt.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of Italian bread crumbs.
Thick slices of green tomatoes are dipped in egg and dipped in a flavorful lemon-pepper seasoned almond flour, then baked in the oven until crispy. In the Southern United States, crispy fried green tomatoes are a popular side dish, and it's easy to see why. They're crunchy, tangy and full of flavor. However, if you don't live in the South and love to cook at home, you'll be glad to know that this recipe can be made in just a few steps.
Crispy fried green tomatoes instructions
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, hot flakes,cornstarch, and bread crumbs in large bowl.
- Slice tomatoes.
- In another bowl mix egg and milk.
- I use a cast iron pan but deep fryer or frying pan will work , heat oil on med heat you want it hot before you put your tomatoes in.
- When oil is ready dip tomato slices into mixture then into four mixture cover completely in flour mixture press flour mix into the slices then lightly shake off and put into hot oil.
- Fry until deep golden brown flip and repeat.
- I add a dash of garlic salt on the top when all finished !.
- Eat while hot and enjoy!!!!!.
To make it, you'll need green underripe tomatoes. Fried Green Tomatoes were confusing to me for many years. Why cook with unripe tomatoes when ripe ones had such amazing flavor? Well the tartness of these green tomatoes fried with a crispy cornmeal crust are the perfect counterpart to the rich, spicy, creamy, tangy Remoulade Sauce. No one does Fried Green Tomatoes like Southern Living.