Голубцы – Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls. Get ready to cook the cabbage rolls. One helpful tip from my mom: top the cabbage rolls with a small plate, this keeps them well in place and prevents them from opening up or getting messy. Leaving the small plate in and cover the pot with its own lid.
Fry the cabbage roll pieces, in the same oil for some time, till they are coated with the oil. Sauce: Heat a large non-stick pan and add the onions and a pinch of baking soda. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. You can cook Голубцы – Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls using 16 ingredients and 16 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Голубцы – Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls
- Prepare 2 cup of Cooked Rice.
- Prepare 1 of Small Cabbage.
- Prepare 1 of 8oz pack Mushrooms.
- You need 1/2 of Eggplant (or 1 small one).
- Prepare 1 of Large Onion.
- You need 2 of Carrots.
- Prepare 1 cup of Ricotta Cheese.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Shredded Cheese.
- It’s of Salt / Pepper.
- You need 3 of Little Allspice Balls.
- It’s 2 of Bay Leaf.
- Prepare of Tomato Sauce.
- Prepare 1 of 6oz Tomato Paste.
- You need 2 cup of Milk.
- You need 1/2 cup of Ricotta Cheese.
- It’s 1 of Salt and Sugar to Taste.
Prepare a pot to put the cabbage rolls in. Add the small little center leaves from the cabbage and step pieces (that you cut of the leaves) on the bottom of the pot and add half a cup of water. (this will keep your cabbage rolls from burning on the bottom) Spoon lentil mixture into softened cabbage leaves and roll tightly. Apparently this is also a common dish all over east Europe. Here is a list of names and variations, so basically stuffed cabbage rolls are a European thing. 😉 However, a vegetarian stuffed cabbage rolls recipe is less commonly found.
Голубцы – Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls instructions
- Prepare the rice and set to cool 🍚.
- Remove the core from the cabbage and set to boil.
- As it boils remove the leaves one by one with 2 forks (Try not to rip them and be CAREFUL the water will be HOT 👉🔥💦).
- Mince onion and use a little oil on skillet and fry it up till it's clear (mix constantly on high heat) Set aside to cool.
- Use the cheese grater on the carrots, use some oil and fry it up (mix constantly on high heat) Tip add a little butter to make it amazing 😆 set aside to cool.
- Mince the eggplant and mushrooms put in large bowl.
- Add Ricotta, shredded cheese, onion, rice, and 80% of the carrots in the bowl with the mushrooms and eggplant. Salt and Pepper it up. Mix it good now 😋.
- Remove the bulging part of the steam off the cabbage leaves. Make sure not to make holes in the leaves..
- Prepare a pot to put the cabbage rolls in. Add the small little center leaves from the cabbage and step pieces (that you cut of the leaves) on the bottom of the pot and add half a cup of water. (this will keep your cabbage rolls from burning on the bottom).
- Stuff the cabbage leaves with the stuffing and roll it up. Envelope style 💌.
- Place the cabbage rolls in pot.
- Make the tomato sauce. Mix all the tomato sauce ingredients. Salt and add a little sugar 😘.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the cabbage rolls.
- Add the leftover carrots, allspice, and bay leaves on top 🍃.
- Cover with lid, set on high heat till starts boiling. Lower the heat to low to medium and let cook for 40min.
- Now wash the dishes and clean up. When the cabbage rolls are done take off the stove. Pile them on your plate, add sour cream 💕… or mayo and eat up 😄.
Fold the bottom half of cabbage over the filling, then fold in sides and roll up tightly. Transfer cabbage rolls seam side down on a plate. Place filled rolls with folded end down into baking dish. Combine soup and tomatoes along with tomato juice from can in separate bowl. Add half of soup can worth of water to sauce.