Awesome Almond Flour Sponge Cake (keto). A Victoria Sponge is a classic British cake which is light and fluffy and always my first choice. It is a two tier sponge sandwiched between cream and jam or fresh strawberries. It is unapologetically decadent and worth every bite 🤷 To make a Keto Victoria Sponge I Googled the original recipe first and then googled some keto recipes for it.
Almond and coconut flours aren't just low-carb and gluten-free. A sponge cake is basically just a very light and airy cake made with eggs, flour and sugar, but this recipe is low carb and just as delicious as it's higher carb cousin! Track exercise, weight, ketones, blood glucose, and body measurements. You can have Awesome Almond Flour Sponge Cake (keto) using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Awesome Almond Flour Sponge Cake (keto)
- Prepare 4 L of Eggs separated, room temp.
- You need 1/4 C of Xylitol.
- It’s 1 tsp of vanilla.
- You need 1 1/2 C of almond flour.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare of Strawberry Shortcake.
- It’s of For cake batter, same as above.
- It’s 1-2 of cookie sheet.
- It’s 8 oz of cream cheese.
- Prepare 4 oz of butter.
- It’s 4 oz of Heavy Cream.
- Prepare 2-3 Tbsp of sugar.
- Prepare 2 tsp of vanilla.
- You need of Sliced strawberries.
Access keto meal plans and articles. Let your sweetie know you care by making this keto Victoria Sponge Cake for Two. It's the perfect low carb Valentine's Day dessert for sharing. Grain-free almond flour cake with a sugar-free raspberry and cream filling.
Awesome Almond Flour Sponge Cake (keto) step by step
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prep your cake pan by oiling or placing parchment paper, etc..
- Beat together egg yolks, ⅛ C of sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla until smooth and yolks turn pale yellow. Set aside..
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until it forms soft peaks and slowly beat in the rest of the sugar. Keep beating consistently to create a snow-like batter (delicate peaks). Set aside..
- Stir the dry ingredients – flour, baking powder, salt – together in a separate bowl. Stir in the yolk mixture with a fork, gently mixing until basically incorporated. It should form a wet thickish batter. Be careful not to over-mix!.
- The fun part: fold in the eggwhite snow ½ C at a time, into the cake batter making sure to incorporate fully each time. The final result should be a much lighter, fluffier batter..
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan, and bake in the center rack for 30-35 minutes on 350 F, until it's golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (I added some frozen strawberries which I wouldn't recommend as it interferes with the moisture of the cake when the frozen strawberries cook :\).
- Remove the cake from the oven, let it cool for 5 minutes before removing. Let it completely cool before serving with some berries, drizzled chocolate, or ice cream!.
- FOR STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE: I use a cookie to get that thin layer. Bake for 20-30 minutes… Keep your eye out for the top to turn a light golden brown. If it jiggles, it's all right – it will settle once it's fully cooled..
- Make the cream cheese frosting by whipping the butter, cream cheese, heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Wait for the cake to be completely cool before applying. (don't want a runny, melty situation!).
- You can double this recipe and bake two cookie sheets of batter, or just cut the cake in half like my lazy self did. Apply frosting, place you sliced strawberries, add another layer of frosting thinly, cover with top cake layer, apply thin layer of frosting on the top. Voila! You have yourself some strawberry shortcake 🤩.
This cake has a soft, moist crumb and is lightly sweet with a pop of lemon flavor. Free carb counter and keto diet tracker for the low carb and ketogenic diet. Track exercise, weight, ketones, blood glucose, and body measurements. Put the egg whites into a glass or metal bowl and add the cream of tartar. Use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.