Crispy tobacco onions. Crispy fried tobacco onions with spicy seasoning are one of those snacks there's never enough of. Onions deep fried in crunchy coating, served as a snack or a topping, they re-define the word 'moreish'. I live with a man who used to hate onions.
Drain well and serve as a side dish or a tasty salad garnish. Make sure onion is coated well in the pepper mix for a lovely crunchy result. Video Great recipe for Crispy tobacco onions. You can cook Crispy tobacco onions using 7 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Crispy tobacco onions
- Prepare of an onion (or two, or four), halved and sliced very thinly.
- You need of cayenne pepper.
- It’s of sweet paprika.
- It’s of garlic granules.
- You need of Old Bay Seasoning – optional.
- You need of plain flour.
- It’s of groundnut or sunflower oil for deep frying.
They are called 'tobacco' due to their colour and curly appearance similar to dried tobacco leaves. I first had them a couple of years ago in a lovely restaurant in New Forest, coming with a hearty recommendation. Sliced onion, coated in seasoned flour and cooked in rapeseed oil, it gives you the perfect crunch, texture and moreish flavour. Six years ago, as the first company in the UK/Ireland to cook in house, package and retail crispy fried onions we have worked very hard to perfect the product.
Crispy tobacco onions step by step
- Feel free to experiment with spices. If you like more kick, add some chilli powder. There should be enough of it altogether to colour the coated onions, at least 1-2 tsp of each..
- Put the sliced onions into a bowl and sprinkle with salt, separating into feathers. Leave for a few minutes so that they soften. In another bowl mix flour with the spices. Heat the oil to 200C in a deep fat fryer or a pan large enough to contain your amount of onions..
- Toss the onions in the flour mix so that they are all well coated. When the oil is hot enough, fry them until dark brown and really crisp – you might have to do it in batches..
- Drain on paper towels, serve and watch them disappear….
Indeed, these crispy fried onion rings are delicious on their own, with tomato sauce or spicy mayo for dipping, but they also make a show-stopping presentation when scattered over a juicy steak. Tobacco onions are deep fried onion rings which are spiced with cayenne. When cooked they look like shredded tobacco. Very flavourful and a great snack or side dish! Peel onion and slice into rings.