Fried Zucchini. Giada De Laurentiis' Fried Zucchini, from Everyday Italian on Food Network, are crispy and vegetarian, covered with crunchy panko breadcrumbs and Parmesan. This was a great starting off point for a second time fried zucchini attempt. Will fine tune it next time to suit our tastes.
Fried zucchini is ideal when eaten right away, but If you happen to have leftovers, the best way to reheat them is in the oven. The batter is light but crunchy at the same time. Panko gives an extra crunch to the zucchini, too. You can cook Fried Zucchini using 7 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Fried Zucchini
- It’s 1 cup of all purpose flour.
- It’s 1 of egg.
- Prepare 1 of medium zucchini.
- Prepare 1 cup of seasoned panko of your choice (I used parmesan garlic seasoned).
- Prepare of salt (1 tbsp. for flour seasoning, a pinch for after frying).
- It’s of pepper (1 tbsp. to season flour).
- It’s of canola or vegetable oil for either pan or deep frying.
Pan-frying in just a bit of oil makes the coating super crunchy. Note: We found frying these in small batches worked best. If you do that, you'll need to add more oil between batches. Coat a zucchini piece in the flour, dip in the egg and coat in the bread crumbs.
Fried Zucchini instructions
- Gather three small bowls, season flour with salt and pepper in first bowl..
- Scramble egg in next bowl..
- Add panko in third bowl..
- Cut ends off of zucchini, cut in half, cut the halves in half lengthwise, cut those into four strips..
- Dredge zucchini in the flour, give a quick shake and add to the egg..
- Take zucchini from egg and place in panko completely coating, place on plate or sheet tray and place in freezer while the oil heats..
- Heat oil in deep fryer or pan to 350 degrees (I deep fried)..
- Once heated, add zucchini to fryer, do not over fill, it will drop the temperature of the oil too much, fry for 2 minutes or until desired crispiness..
- Drain on paper towel covered plate or bowl, serve with ranch or dressing or sauce of your choice..
You want a thin, even layer of each coating; shake off any excess. Put coated zucchini on baking sheet in a single layer, top with wax or parchment paper and repeat with remaining slices. Turn zucchini slices in flour, dusting off excess. Dip in egg and turn in bread crumbs. Zucchini is sliced into rounds, breaded in a Parmesan-breadcrumb coating, and "fried" in the oven for less of a stovetop mess and a lighter calorie load.