Chicken Karaage. Chicken karaage is the Japanese version of fried chicken that is insanely delicious- light, crisp, full of flavor and moist. It has a universal flavor which is not too exotic, yet is very different from fried chicken in the US, China, and Indonesia. Karaage (Japanese fried chicken) is easily one of the greatest fried chickens in the world.
Chicken Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken) With juicy marinated chicken coated in an ultra-crisp shell, Karaage (から揚げ) is a staple of Japanese home-cooking and one of the most popular items to pack into a bento box lunch in Japan. Karaage Chicken is one of the most popular Japanese dishes not only within Japan but abroad as well. The chicken is marinated with soy sauce, sake, ginger and mirin to give a touch of sweetness. You can have Chicken Karaage using 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chicken Karaage
- You need 6 of boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of sake.
- It’s 1.5 tbsp of soy sauce.
- You need 2 tsp of minced garlic.
- You need 2 tsp of minced ginger.
- You need of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of flour.
- You need 1/2 cup of corn/potato starch.
- Prepare of Oil for frying.
Chicken pieces are deep fried twice to make them crunchy on the outside and juicy inside – a little known secret outside of Japan! Combine soy sauce, sake, and ginger in a large bowl. Karaage (唐揚げ 空揚げ or から揚げ, ) is a Japanese cooking technique in which various foods—most often chicken, but also other meat and fish—are deep fried in oil. The process involves lightly coating small pieces of the meat or fish with flour, or potato or corn starch, and frying in a light oil.
Chicken Karaage instructions
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Mix sake, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and salt and pepper in a bowl..
- Add chicken and stir altogether. Put in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes. The longer you leave it, the more flavourful it will be..
- Combine flour and corn starch in a bowl and start to coat the marinated chicken..
- Heat oil in deep fryer or in a pot on the stove at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I recommend using a thermometer if you are not sure what setting on your stove is 350..
- Once the oil is ready, drop in the chicken and fry for 5-7 minutes, or until a darker golden brown..
- Once ready, put on paper towel to absorb the oil. That’s it, you’re ready to eat!.
The foods are marinated prior to coating.. Use chicken thighs or chicken legs for the best chicken karaage. Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Coat each piece of the chicken generously with potato starch or corn starch. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, sake, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic.