Italian Orzo Soup.
You can cook Italian Orzo Soup using 19 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Italian Orzo Soup
- It’s 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 of onion, diced.
- You need 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 1 lb. of Italian sausage.
- It’s 2 of carrots, peeled and sliced into coins and quartered.
- Prepare 1 of large zucchini, sliced into coins and quartered.
- Prepare 4 cups of unsalted chicken broth.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of water.
- Prepare 1 can (14.5 oz.) of diced tomatoes, undrained.
- You need 1 can (16 oz.) of cannelini beans, drained and rinsed.
- It’s 2 tsp. of dried basil.
- It’s 1 tsp. of oregano.
- You need 1 tsp. of Italian seasoning.
- It’s to taste of salt and pepper.
- You need 1/2 cup of orzo pasta, uncooked.
- It’s 2 cups of spinach, roughly chopped.
- Prepare of Suggested Toppings :.
- You need of ·parmesan cheese.
- Prepare of ·red pepper flakes.
Italian Orzo Soup instructions
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook for a minute or so more, until fragrant..
- Add the sausage to the pot and cook until completely browned, breaking it up as you go. Drain any excess grease, if needed..
- Increase the heat to med-high. Add the carrots to the pot, then stir in the broth, water, diced tomatoes, beans and seasonings..
- Once it all comes to a boil, stir in the orzo and zuchinni, then lower the heat back down and let simmer for 7-8 minutes, until the veggies have softened and the orzo is close to al dente. Make sure to stir often during this time, so the orzo won't stick to the pot..
- Stir in the spinach and simmer just 2-3 minutes more, until it's wilted..
- Serve immediately, topped with fresh parmesan cheese, if desired. Sprinkle red pepper flakes over individual portions for a bit of extra heat..
- Refrigerate any leftovers in a large Tupperware container. To reheat, place the amount you want warmed in a small pot (add a splash of broth if needed, the orzo will absorb a lot of the liquid during frigeration) and bring to a simmer for 5 or so minutes, until heated through..