Skillet Cauliflower Cheese With Caramelised Red Onions. Put cauliflower on a platter and top with caramelized onions. This rich and cheesy cauliflower cheese is indulgent yet lower in calories. It's topped with beautiful sweet caramelised red onions cooked down in balsamic vinegar and honey.
In large glass bowl, toss cauliflower, remaining oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and pepper. Spread on large rimmed baking sheet, spacing apart. Give Cheesy Roasted Cauliflower a rich, caramelized sophistication when you roast it with onions. You can cook Skillet Cauliflower Cheese With Caramelised Red Onions using 14 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Skillet Cauliflower Cheese With Caramelised Red Onions
- It’s 600 g of cauliflower, trimmed and cut into chunky florets,.
- Prepare 60 g of 30% reduced fat cheddar cheese, grated,.
- It’s 20 g of crumbled Wensleydale cheese,.
- It’s 300 ml of milk or dairy free alternative, I used unsweetened almond,.
- You need 2 of level tbsp plain flour,.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of light butter, (lower calorie butter),.
- It’s 1 of red onion, chopped into slices, (120g),.
- You need 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar,.
- You need 1/2 tbsp of organic runny honey,.
- You need 1 clove of crushed garlic,.
- You need of Salt and white pepper to season,.
- You need of Spray cooking oil,.
- You need of Equipment Needed:.
- It’s 1 of large cast iron skillet.
Make the bechamel: Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking, until mixture is thick and just starts to boil. Caramelized onions add mouthwatering flavor to almost any dish. From quiches and pizza, to burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches, this is one ingredient that will take your cooking up to a new level.
Skillet Cauliflower Cheese With Caramelised Red Onions step by step
- Parboil the cauliflower florets in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for around 4 minutes. Drain it off in a collender and set aside..
- Make a roux by adding the butter to a medium saucepan over a medium heat and once melted add the flour and stir until a thick paste is formed. Add in half the milk whilst whisking well until no lumps remain. Add in the remaining milk bit by bit and continue to whisk until smooth. Leave on the hob on a medium low heat until the consistency is just about thick enough to coat the back of a spoon..
- Add the crushed garlic to the white sauce and season with salt and a small pinch of white pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside. Heat up a small frying pan over a medium heat and spray in some oil. Add the red onion and fry gently for a couple of minutes. Add in the balsamic vinegar then turn down the heat lower. Gently fry the onion until soft and caramalised, drizzle over the honey then gently fry for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Season with some salt and a little bit of pepper..
- Combine together the cauliflower with the white sauce gently by folding together. Add to the skillet evenly, so the florets reach all sides and there's no large gaps. Add the grated cheddar over the top. Preheat your oven to 180 and bake until warmed through for around 5 minutes and the cheese melted. Next place under the grill until the cheese is golden and bubbly..
- Remove from the grill and scatter over the caramalised red onions. Grill for a minute more to reheat the onions then remove. Garnish with the crumbled Wensleydale cheese and serve up. Enjoy!.
We'll show you step by step how easy it is to make mouthwatering caramelized onions on your stovetop. Buffalo Chicken and Caramelized Onions Pizza on Cauliflower Crust – a much healthier alternative to regular pizza by using a cauliflower pizza crust. Whew that was a long recipe name to type! I felt that it was important that I include everything in the title because that's what makes this pizza special. This Sautéed Cauliflower Rice is packed with savory sweet caramelized onions and spinach, and topped with salty feta cheese.