Yaki onigiri – grilled rice balls. A favorite at Izakaya restaurants, Yaki Onigiri are Japanese grilled rice balls covered in savory soy sauce. With a crispy crust on the outside and soft sticky rice on the inside, these rice balls are simply irresistible and easy to make at home! Today I'm going to share Yaki Onigiri (焼きおにぎり) recipe.
Onigiri is a classic staple dish in Japan that most Japanese people pack in their bento boxes or buy from the convenience store for lunch. I don't know why, but Onigiri just tastes so much better than plain rice in a bowl, even though it's just that very same rice rolled into a triangle shape. Check out my updated post on "Onigiri Rice Balls" for more ideas of how to make and shape. You can have Yaki onigiri – grilled rice balls using 3 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Yaki onigiri – grilled rice balls
- You need 250 g of cooked rice.
- It’s 1 tsp of soy sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of soy sauce for the final touch.
Onigiri can be served plain, flavored only with salt, and enjoyed with some delicious main dishes such as salted salmon, chicken teriyaki, honey soy chicken or as a part of your bento lunch. It can also be turned into something fun and substantial when you stuff the rice balls with fillings, and eat them as a snack. If you have made Onigiri (rice ball) before, add one more step and try Yaki Onigiri, crunchy grilled rice ball. The recipe can be as simple as placing the rice ball on the grill and brush with soy sauce when browned.
Yaki onigiri – grilled rice balls step by step
- Mix the rice and 1 tsp soy sauce well in a mixing bowl..
- Make 2 triangle shaped rice balls. *Using plastic wrap makes it easier..
- Place the rice balls onto a non-stick frying pan and grill them on medium low heat. Once one side gets nicely charred, turn them over and grill until the other side gets charred as well..
- Brush the surfaces of the rice balls with 1/2tsp soy sauce and keep them grilled to get them nicely browned..
Here, I even made it more simple by browning Onigiri using frying pan. The rice balls are brushed with a teriyaki marinade and then grilled until the outsides are crispy. It's a delicious and fun way to eat rice. Yaki Onigiri (Japanese Rice Balls) In Japan, this dish is known as yaki onigiri which is just sushi rice formed into a ball (onigiri) and grilled (yaki). In Japan, the balls (or sometimes they are in.