Sour cream donuts. Unfortunately, these old fashioned sour cream donuts are not the healthiest snack or breakfast option. While donuts come in a variety of flavors and styles, most tend to be very high in sugar and very low in nutrients. So it's best to save these old fashioned donuts for an occasional treat!
Any issues I hear about the dough being too dry or sticky are likely due to inaccurate measuring! These donuts are tender, cakey, and packed with flavor. My recipe uses a combination of both white sugar and brown sugar, egg yolks only (no whites), and a full tablespoon of cornstarch for the best sour cream donut recipe out there (in my humble opinion, of course 😉). You can cook Sour cream donuts using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sour cream donuts
- You need 2 1/4 cup of flour.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sugar.
- It’s 2 tbsp of softened butter.
- You need 2 of egg yolks.
- It’s 1/2 cup of sour cream.
- You need 1/2 cup of applesauce.
- Prepare 1 of oil for frying.
- Prepare 3 1/2 cup of powered sugar.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of light corn syrup.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of hot water.
Also see my yeast-raised homemade donut recipe. Add sugar, sour cream, and milk to eggs and beat thoroughly. Sift dry ingredients together several times. Stir into egg mixture to make donut batter.
Sour cream donuts instructions
- In large bowl, sift together flour, salt, nutmeg and baking powder.
- Cream butter and sugar in separate large bowl. Add egg yolks and mix well..
- Alternately, mix flour mixture with sour cream until well blended. Add applesauce and mix well..
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill one hour..
- On floured surface, roll dough out to about 1/2 inch thick..
- Cut out donuts, saving the holes. Makes about 12 donuts..
- Heat oil over medium heat..
- One by one fry donuts in oil until light golden brown in color. This does not take long so make sure to watch closely..
- Dry donuts on paper bag to soak up grease..
- For glaze, combine powdered sugar, vanilla extract, salt, light corn syrup and hot water. Whisk until smooth and emmerse each donut and hole and set on wire rack to set. About 20 minutes..
Flip over when bottom side is brown. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. The inside is soft, tender and cakey; and the outside is crispy with a classic sweet glaze. Just like the kind you get at the donut sh… A sour cream doughnut is a type of doughnut that incorporates sour cream into its batter. This type of doughnut is often dipped in a vanilla flavored glaze after frying and usually has no filling.