You can have Greek Baklava using 14 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Greek Baklava
- You need of For the Baklava.
- It’s 2 (16 oz) of packages phyllo dough.
- You need 4 cups of pecans milled or finely chopped.
- It’s 1 of and a 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon.
- It’s 2 sticks of melted unsalted butter, clarified.
- It’s 1 bottle of whole cloves.
- You need of Pastry brush.
- Prepare 1 of 9×13 pan.
- It’s of For the syrup.
- You need 2 cups of water.
- Prepare 2 cup of sugar.
- You need 1 cup of honey (I use wildflower honey).
- It’s 1 of lemon cut in half, only use half.
- It’s 1 of cinnamon stick.
Greek Baklava instructions
- Make the syrup: Take a saucepan and add the water, sugar, honey and cinnamon stick. Squeeze the juice from the lemon half and drop the whole lemon half in the pan.
- Bring to a boil and stir until sugar and honey dissolves then down to medium heat for about 5 minutes, take off heat and cool to room temperature then take out the lemon half and cinnamon stick.
- Make the Baklava: Mix pecans with the ground cinnamon, melt the butter, clarify it and butter the pan.
- Place one sheet in the pan and brush butter all over it, repeat until you do 10 sheets on top of one another layering each with butter.
- Place about a 1/4 of the nut mixture on top of the 10 buttered sheets.
- It goes like this: 10 buttered sheets 1/4 nut mixture. 5 buttered sheets. 1/4 nut mixture. 5 buttered sheets 1/4 nut mixture. 5 buttered sheets. 1/4 nut mixture. 15 buttered sheets on top.
- Butter the very top, even pour the rest of your butter and carefully cut baklava lengthwise 4 rows then cut diagonally for diamonds.
- Place a whole clove in each diamond shape and bake at 300 degrees for one and a half hours depending on your oven. Make sure it is golden and flaky on top.
- When baklava is done take out the oven and spoon or ladle the cool syrup all over the baklava concentrating in the cuts. Remember cool syrup, hot baklava.
- Let it sit for at least 8 hours to overnight to soak up all the sweet syrup (I know it's hard to resist) 😇.
- It can be stored at room temperature for a week, longer in the fridge ENJOY !! 😋❤️😋.