Hot N Sour Soup. This restaurant-style Hot and Sour Soup recipe is the best!! It's quick and simple to make, easy to adapt to your personal taste preferences, and so delicious! Hot and sour soup is a variety of soups from several Asian culinary traditions.
The traditional hot and sour soup recipe call for Chinese dry shiitake mushroom. Soak the mushrooms in water until it is fully hydrated and become very soft and easy to cut. The time required varies from an hour to two or three hours, as it depends on the thickness of the mushrooms. You can have Hot N Sour Soup using 22 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Hot N Sour Soup
- Prepare of Meat and Vegetables.
- You need 1 tbsp of cooking oil (not olive oil).
- You need 4 oz of Chicken or pork, thinly sliced (cooked or raw, optional).
- You need 1/2 cup of chopped mushroom, fresh.
- You need 1/2 cup of carrot, julienned or sliced thin.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of shredded cabbage (optional).
- You need 1 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 1 each of Thai pepper, whole or chopped (optional).
- You need 1 of or.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- Prepare of Broth.
- It’s 5 cup of chicken stock or broth.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 3 tbsp of vinegar such as apple cider, white, or rice.
- It’s 4 oz of extra firm tofu, cut into bite size pieces..
- You need 1 tbsp of cornstarch.
- It’s 2 tbsp of water.
- It’s of Finishes.
- It’s 2 each of eggs, beaten.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of white pepper (optional).
- You need 1/2 tsp of sesame oil (use a quality brand).
- Prepare 2 each of green onion, fresh, sliced.
Chinese restaurant-style hot and sour soup made easy! The hearty, spicy, sour broth is loaded with mushrooms, silky eggs, and tofu. I've included lots of notes so you can tweak the recipe with the ingredients you have on hand, plus how to make this dish vegetarian. Hot and sour soup can be found on any takeout menu or Chinese buffet line in the US.
Hot N Sour Soup instructions
- Meat and Vegetables: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan on high heat. Note: olive oil has a much lower smoke point than other oils. Not recomended. Note: if using cooked meat, skip to step 2. Add meat if raw. Cook and stir for about 5 min or until mostly done..
- Note: If you want to reduce the heat, wait to add thai pepper or red pepper flakes until step 7. Add mushroom, carrot, cabbage, and Thai pepper or red pepper flakes. Cook for another 5 min or until carrots are softened slightly..
- If using cooked meat, add now. Add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce. Stir until the mixture is coated with the soy sauce..
- Add chicken broth or stock..
- Note: Read this step completely before doing it. Add remaining soy sauce and vinegar, one tbs at a time, alternating between soy sauce and vinegar. Taste after each tablespoon addition to ensure that the flavor is to your liking. It should have a balanced flavor between salty and sour (you should be able to taste both equally). Adjust as necessary by adding more or less soy sauce or vinegar..
- Combine cornstarch and water in a separate bowl or cup..
- Add tofu and cornstarch/water mixture. If you haven't aready, add the Thai pepper or red pepper flakes now for less heat..
- Bring to a full boil. The broth will thicken slightly..
- Critical step: After it reaches a boil, remove from heat for about 30 seconds. While stirring slowly, slowly drizzle the beaten eggs into the soup. Note: if the broth is too hot, the eggs will overcook and disintegrate, making a milky broth instead of long ribbons like it's supposed to. Don't worry, it still makes a tasty soup, although the presentation won't be as great..
- Keep the heat off, but finish the soup by adding the sesame oil and white pepper. Stir to blend..
- Provide sliced green onion for garnish. Serve..
It ranges in quality and flavor from awesomely delicious to lukewarm, tasteless, and And I'm not just saying that! Hot and Sour Soup is one of my all-time favorite Chinese food recipes, made with pork and tofu in a savory broth that's a little bit hot, a little bit sour, and full of flavor. This is a lot like egg drop soup, but with heartier ingredients like meat and vegetables instead of mostly egg. Serve this with one of my. This soup recipe is aptly titled, hot and sour soup. the hot element comes from ingredients like chilies or black pepper.