Ayam Bakar Kecap (Sweet Soy Sauce Grilled Chicken). I have a weakness for Indonesian grilled chicken (or Ayam Bakar as you will often find on Indonesian menus) – the char and smokiness from the caramelized chicken skin, the sweet aromatic spices, the distinctive taste of kecap manis (sweet soy sauce) combined with the heat from the savoury sambal belacan, all complemented with a mound of steamed white rice. Put aside and serve with rice and sambal terasi (shrimp chilli paste) and Indonesian sweet soy sauce. 'Ayam Bakar' is an Indonesian or Malaysian dish of charcoal-grilled chicken. The chicken is usually marinated with the mixture of different kinds spices such as garlic, shallot, chili pepper, tamarind juice, galangal, turmeric, ginger, bay leaf, candle nuts, and sweet soy sauce.
Meanwhile, cook the coconut milk mixture in the wok until it is slightly reduced. Cook until sauce thickens chicken seasoning. Add chicken and stir until the sauces coats the chicken pieces and the color of the chicken starts to change. You can have Ayam Bakar Kecap (Sweet Soy Sauce Grilled Chicken) using 17 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Ayam Bakar Kecap (Sweet Soy Sauce Grilled Chicken)
- Prepare 8 pieces of chicken (you can use both chicken breast or chicken thighs).
- You need 3 tablespoons of lime juice.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 2 of lemongrass, pounded.
- Prepare 1/2 tablespoon of tamarind juice.
- Prepare 8 of kaffir lime leaves.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of sweet soy sauce 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of white pepper powder.
- It’s 250 ml of water.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Prepare of For the ground spices:.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 10 of shallots.
- You need 2 of chili pepper.
- You need 1 inch of ginger.
- You need 1 inch of galangal.
- You need 1 teaspoon of salt.
Add sweet soy sauce and coconut water. Mix well, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, and cover the wok/frying pan partially. Cook until the sauce has reduced, thickened, and coats the chicken.
Ayam Bakar Kecap (Sweet Soy Sauce Grilled Chicken) step by step
- Mix the chicken with lime juice and salt. Set aside for 15 minutes..
- In a food processor, combine all the ground spices ingredients and pulse until finely chopped. Add the vegetable oil and pulse to a fine paste..
- Transfer the paste to a wok and cook over medium-high heat. Add kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass. Stir until fragrant. Add the chicken and cook until the chicken change color..
- Lower the heat. Add sweet soy sauce, white pepper powder, sugar, water, and tamarind juice. Simmer until the chicken is tender and the sauce is permeated..
- Place chicken on a hot, preheated greased grill. Rub the ground spices on the chicken. Grill the chicken until the skin is caramelized. Turn over. Do the same to the other side. Be careful not to burn it..
- Serve with warm rice, sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce. Don’t forget the ‘sambal trasi’! 😋.
Sweet soy sauce (Indonesian: kecap manis) is a sweetened aromatic soy sauce, originating in Indonesia, which has a darker color, a viscous syrupy consistency and a molasses-like flavor due to the generous addition of palm sugar. Kecap manis is widely used with satay. It is similar to, though finer in flavor than, Chinese sweet bean sauce (tianmianjiang). In my family tradition, we usually celebrate New Year Eve with barbecuing. This year I cooked for my family because I back to my hometown 😁 Ayam Bakar (Grilled Chicken) is our favorite dish!