Cornbread. One of the longest-running food festivals is the National Cornbread Festival that's held each April in South Pittsburg, Tennessee. Every year, tens of thousands of attendees converge on this quaint southern town to celebrate a cornbread, a staple food that's often called "the cornerstone of Southern cuisine." We would like to show you a description here but the site won't allow us. In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
It give the bread its beautiful golden-brown color and the grainy, delicious consistency. Cornbread isn't just an accompaniment to chili anymore. It can be dressed up to go with almost any dish. You can have Cornbread using 10 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cornbread
- It’s 1 cup of cornmeal.
- It’s 1 cup of flour.
- You need 1 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 1/8 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/2 c of melted unsalted butter (I used plant based).
- Prepare 1/3 cup of brown sugar.
- You need 2 tbs of honey.
- It’s 1 of egg (room temp).
- Prepare 1 cup of buttermilk (room temperature).
Add any of the following ingredients, or experiment with some of your own. Corn and scallion This easy Homemade Cornbread Recipe is the perfect bread to serve alongside Ham and Bean Soup, a classic chicken noodle soup or even chicken stew!. Light, tender and moist, this cornbread recipe has just a hint of sweetness making it perfect for dipping, dunking or slathering with butter. This basic recipe is so easy and forgiving that you may find yourself making cornbread as often as your mother made mashed potatoes Only a few ingredients are pretty much fixed: the salt, the baking powder, cornmeal and flour (you want a little flour for lightness) Other than that, feel free to experiment with bits of cooked bacon, sautéed onions or shallots, chili powder or cumin, chopped.
Cornbread step by step
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease/lightly flour a square pan (8×8 or 9×9). Add cornmeal, flour, baking soda & paking powder into a large mixing bowl. Toss ingredients..
- Mix together melted butter, brown sugar & honey. Whisk then whisk egg. Then whisk in buttermilk. Pour wet into dry ingredients & whisk. Do not over mix..
- Pour batter into pan. Let bake 20 minutes. Once done, wrap leftovers in aluminum foil..
Southern cornbread is flavored with bacon grease, and cooked in a cast iron skillet, a perfect side for barbecues, or chili. It also tends to be rather crumbly. With this cornbread recipe, we experimented both with all cornmeal, and with just three-quarters cornmeal and one-quarter flour. Cornbread is a common bread in United States cuisine, particularly associated with the South and Southwest, as well as being a traditional staple for populations where wheat flour was more expensive. In some parts of the South it is crumbled into a glass of cold milk or buttermilk and eaten with a spoon, and it is also widely eaten with barbecue and chili con carne.