South Indian Tomato Rice.
You can have South Indian Tomato Rice using 17 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of South Indian Tomato Rice
- Prepare 2 cup of Cooked Rice (Basmati).
- It’s 2 of Tomatoes (Chopped).
- It’s 1 of Onion (Chopped).
- You need 1 tsp of Ghee.
- You need 1 tsp of Oil.
- You need 1/2 tsp of Mustard Seeds.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Urad Dal.
- It’s 1 tsp of Chana Dal.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Cumin Seeds.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Fennel Seeds.
- It’s 2 of Cinnamon Sticks.
- Prepare 1 of Bay Leaf.
- You need 4-5 of Garlic cloves (Minced).
- Prepare 2 of Green Chillies (Slited).
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of Cumin Powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of Turmeric Powder.
- You need To taste of Salt.
South Indian Tomato Rice step by step
- Heat the oil and ghee in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon sticks and bay leaf..
- Add urad dal and chana dal and saute till the dals turn golden in colour..
- Add the onions alongwith the green chillies..
- Let the onions saute to a golden brown and then add the garlic, cumin powder and turmeric powder. Saute for 30 seconds for the garlic to get toasted..
- Now add the tomatoes and salt and cook on low flame..
- When the tomatoes begin to cook and turn soft, mash it with a vegetable masher. In about 5-7 minutes you have a mushy tomato paste mixture..
- Turn off the heat. Add the cooked rice..
- Mix well and let the rice sit for atleast 30 minutes before serving..
- Serve tomato rice warm with raita or any vegetable curry of your choice. Some chips or papad will go well with it..