Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce. Nacho Cheese is easy to make yourself from scratch, and is the perfect melty sauce to pour over tortilla chips. My very first experience with nacho cheese sauce was of the Velveeta variety. Recipe by: Chef John "This nacho cheese sauce recipe is not cheaper and easier to make at home, but what you lose in cost and quantity, you more than make up for in actual food content." Save to favorites.
There's one thing in this life that I will never get tired of. The EASIEST recipe for concession-style nacho cheese sauce made totally from scratch! All it takes is a small handful of ingredients you probably already have on hand. You can have Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce
- It’s of milk I used lactaid milk.
- Prepare of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- It’s of sharp cheddar cheese crumbled.
- It’s of ground cumin.
- You need of granulated garlic powder.
- It’s of ground cayenne pepper or to taste.
- You need of heaping of cornstarch.
- You need of kosher salt.
This cheesy nacho sauce is ideal for serving with just tortilla chips, but we also like to add it to our Loaded Nachos, or even Taco Salad. Pre shredded cheese is not the way to go for this recipe, as fresh just tastes so much better and makes a big difference in the quality of the nacho cheese sauce. For a super thick sauce, just leave it on the heat a little longer, watching and stirring so that it doesn't burn. The recipe below is the very basic version of nacho cheese sauce, which you can customize or embellish many different ways.
Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce step by step
- Heat the milk but don't boil. Add the cumin..
- Mix well now add the cayenne pepper..
- Add the cheese stirring constantly so it won't stick to the sides or bottom..
- When the cheese melt stir to milk mixture and slow add the cornstarch in. Let it thicken even more..
- Let rest off the heat so that the sauce won't break and become grainy..
- Serve I hope you enjoy!!.
Velveeta is a processed American cheese, and is a standard option when it comes to nacho cheese sauce. It will be thicker, smoother, and creamier than a shredded cheese. You can also use your standard cheddar cheese or other favorite melting cheese, which will make a thinner, slightly grainer sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Slowly add milk, whisking until no lumps remain.