Mediterranean Inspired Chicken Stew with Olives, Tomatoes & Potatoes.
You can have Mediterranean Inspired Chicken Stew with Olives, Tomatoes & Potatoes using 17 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Mediterranean Inspired Chicken Stew with Olives, Tomatoes & Potatoes
- You need 3 pounds of chicken pieces (I like bone-in, skin on).
- You need 2 teaspoons of salt.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper.
- It’s 1.5 Tablespoons of flour.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of oil.
- You need 1 of onion, cut into 1/2" wide slices.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed.
- You need 3 of fresh tomatoes, cut into sixths.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of dried oregano (or 2 to 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh).
- You need 2 cups of unsalted liquid (any combo of water, dry white wine, or chicken or veg stock).
- You need 12 of olives.
- It’s 2 Tablespoons of olive brine.
- You need of zest of half a lemon (optional).
- Prepare 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice.
- You need 1 pound of potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5-inch cubes.
- It’s of chopped fresh parsley for finishing.
Mediterranean Inspired Chicken Stew with Olives, Tomatoes & Potatoes instructions
- Season chicken pieces with the salt and pepper and then dust on both sides with the flour..
- Preheat pot to medium high, add oil, then brown chicken, 4 to 5 minutes a side, or until each side is golden brown. Remove chicken from pot and set aside..
- Add onion and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes until onion turns translucent. Then add tomatoes, bay, oregano, and lemon zest, give it a stir, and let the herbs bloom for a minute or so..
- Add the chicken back along with olives, olive brine, liquid (stock or water). Give it a gentle stir and adjust salt seasoning if needed. Turn heat down to medium, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally..
- Add potatoes and try to submerge them as under the liquid as much as you can. You might like to add another 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt to lend a little extra seasoning for the potatoes. Simmer, with lid askew for another 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally..
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley (and maybe add a couple of lemon wedges for squeezing onto the chicken right before eating). Enjoy with your choice of pasta, rice, or crusty bread. :).