Coconut Butter Mochi [Gluten-Free]. Hawaiian Butter Mochi is a buttery and chewy coconut dessert made with glutinous rice flour. It is a very popular treat in Hawaii that needs to make its way over to the mainland. Once you have a bite, you won't be able to resist another.
This recipe has extra coconut milk and sesame seeds! Hawaiian butter mochi recipe – Gluten free recipe – Rice flower recipe – Coconut milk recipe – Mochiko flour recipe Glutinous Rice Flour. I know, I know… you see the "gluten free" as a warning sign. You can have Coconut Butter Mochi [Gluten-Free] using 10 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Coconut Butter Mochi [Gluten-Free]
- It’s 225 g (1 1/2 cup) of mochiko flour / glutinous rice flour / sweet rice flour.
- It’s 100 g (1/2 cup) of granulated white sugar.
- Prepare 4 g (1 tsp) of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of salt.
- You need 35 g (1/2 cup) of unsweetened shredded coconut.
- You need 240 ml (1 cup) of fresh milk (substitutable with evaporated milk).
- It’s 200 ml (3/4 cup) of + 4 tsp) coconut milk (typically sold in a can).
- Prepare 56 g (1/4 cup) of unsalted butter melted.
- You need 2 of eggs.
- You need 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
But it doesn't need to be. It's gluten free just because it uses rice flour instead wheat flour (and of course, all other ingredients must not contain gluten or wheat ). But the type is a little bit different. One Bowl Ube Butter Mochi (Also Gluten Free) This one bowl Ube Butter Mochi is made with just pure Ube and lots of coconut milk and butter.
Coconut Butter Mochi [Gluten-Free] step by step
- Weigh the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk until well-combined then set aside..
- Toast the shredded coconut in a pan over medium-low heat. Keep stirring to minimize uneven toast and prevent burning. Set aside..
- Melt the butter in a microwave or over the stove. Then brush some onto the cake pan to coat. Add parchment paper if you are planning to remove the cake from the pan..
- Weigh the rest of the ingredients into another medium bowl and add the melted butter. Whisk thoroughly to combine..
- Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture. Mix until well-combined with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon. The batter will be runny but smooth..
- Ensure there is no flour lump before adding toasted coconut. Mix well..
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350°F or 180°C for about 1 hour or until the crust is formed and crispy..
- Let it chill on a cooling rack. When it is cool enough to handle, cut with either a plastic knife or an oiled kitchen knife..
Oh, there is also no added sugar. Just a small can of coconut condensed milk. Weigh the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk until well-combined then set aside. Toast the shredded coconut in a pan over medium-low heat.